HAITI EMERGENCY APPEAL
“Food is scarce, clean water is scarce, but hope abounds. Roofs are gone, livestock are gone, but hope abounds. During my three days in Jeremie I have seen hope in the midst of devastation, it has been the hope of the victims that has reinforced my hope for Haiti.”
Marc Antoine, Tearfund Haiti
For I know the plans I have for you (Haiti), declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you (Haiti) a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
- Hurricane Matthew has tragically claimed the lives of almost 900 Haitians (source: BBC). On Saturday, Haiti declared three days of national mourning; please pray for families and communities, as they conduct funerals for loved ones over the next few days, and come to terms with their great loss.
- Give thanks that Tearfund’s staff and our partner staff were able to reach the worst affected areas over the weekend and to start to identify the immediate and longer term needs.
- The UN estimates that almost 1,000,000 people are in need of humanitarian assistance. Please pray for Tearfund and our partners on the ground as we complete needs assessments in some of the worst-hit areas; please pray for wisdom and strength, so that we might be able to respond to this humanitarian disaster in the most effective and compassionate way possible.
- With numerous cases identified, and several deaths attributed to cholera already reported in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew due to the contamination of water sources, please pray that Haiti would be spared more outbreaks of Cholera. We pray that local hospitals would be equipped to effectively treat each and every emerging case of Cholera.
- Please pray for the protection of the estimated 14,530 people currently taking refuge in shelters, and please pray protection over their homes which they have left behind.
- Many roads and bridges have been destroyed, and telecommunications have been cut off in affected areas- please pray that the most vulnerable areas will be accessible soon, so that humanitarian support can reach where it is most needed.
- Thank God for the local church, partners and other networks on the ground; over 1500 churches and schools have opened their doors to provide shelter to vulnerable communities. Please pray that local churches continue to engage and mobilize together to respond to the huge needs arising in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.
- Pray for wisdom and discernment for the government and local leaders, as they decide how to respond in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.
- Haiti was predicted to have a good harvest this year; however, up to 80% of crops have been destroyed in affected areas, as well as losing much live-stock. Please pray for those who have suffered great loss to their livelihoods that they would be provided with all they need in the coming months.
- We give thanks for supporters who have responded so generously to the Haiti Emergency Appeal so far; we pray that these gifts would be used to bring hope to those most in need.